Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A GLUTTON for Word Games


 While rummaging through the Game Kit (the same one we used last week), I found a great game with a title appropriate for the week after Thanksgiving: GLUTTON.  Glutton is a simple word game – think Boggle – that only requires the provided word chart, a scrap piece of paper, a writing utensil, and a few spare minutes.


 I love word games!  Scrabble, Boggle, word searches, crossword puzzles…  I live for NPR’s Puzzle Master segment on Sunday mornings.   And, that is why I am ashamed to say that I only came up with 18 food related words in 5 minutes, and I even cheated to get there.  That’s right.  I sheepishly recorded singular and plural forms of the same words whenever an “s” was nearby!  You know, pea becomes peas, and so forth…

So here’s my challenge: try “Glutton” for yourself.   Give yourself a 3- or 5- minute time limit, and let me know how you did.  I’ll post the answer sheet next week for you to check your answers! 

Here’s how you play:
1. Start with any letter in the chart.

2. Try to spell as many words related to food, drink, and seasonings in the allotted time by connecting adjacent letters.  Record your answers to count later.

3. You may move in any direction to connect letters (up, down, side-to-side, or diagonally), and you may repeat any letter as often as you’d like. 

4.  Have fun!  Play with friends if you're competitive, or enjoy the brain-teaser in solitude.


Good luck!
Megan

P.S. Be sure to tune in next week for a Christmas-themed ration-era recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment