Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Ration-Era Recipe: Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Banana Frosting


 So, a while ago I returned to the Spry shortening cookbook to test out a recipe for peanut butter cupcakes.  I paired it with the banana frosting from the same cookbook.  I mean, let's be honest, there are few things in life that are better than the peanut butter-banana combination.

These cupcakes were very simple to make, but unlike any cupcake I've ever tasted before.  They were extremely dense and moist - imagine biting into a sweetened spoonful of peanut butter and flour.  While the banana frosting didn't looking very appetizing, it was perhaps the best part of the cupcake.  It was made with fresh bananas and was creamy and sweet, but not overly so.

Even though I like the basic result the recipe produced, I was doubtful of its true success.  So, I decided to test them out.  I brought them into the office on a Friday for some our staff and volunteers to sample, and they were a hit with our volunteers, especially our WWII veterans there that morning.


So I know the photo of these cupcakes don't necessarily say "Mouthwatering".  (Clearly my photographer husband was off-duty the day I made these).  But if you're a peanut butter nut like me, I would certainly recommend that you try this recipe for yourself.  They're delicious.  Especially when eaten fresh - still warm from the oven!

Here's the recipe:

Enjoy!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment