Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2013

Ration-Era Recipes: Spicy Apple Coffee Cake


To celebrate the New Year, I thought it would be the perfect time to go back to one of our ration-era recipes.  I had just returned to work from holiday with my family, my youngest sister was with me and I had a bag of apples that I needed to use quickly.  Plus, who doesn’t love a good coffee cake.  With dessert on the brain, I turned to my trusty Victory Cookbook, published in 1943, and glanced through the dessert pages.  

Eventually my sister and I landed on the spicy apple coffee cake.  Remember, desserts would have been a treat as ingredients such as sugar is still heavily rationed.  This recipe has been modified and only has 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.  That is it!  Plus, you probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen. 

We had a great time with the recipe.  It is really simple and fun to make!  The most time consuming part of the entire recipe was peeling and slicing the apples.  It is a quick clean-up and does not leave a lot of mess.  You only need a small area with flour on which to knead the dough. 

Once again, my wonderful co-workers served as guinea pigs and this recipe received thumbs up all around.  The sweetness comes from the apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar.  I did not have it with coffee, but I see how this would be the perfect dessert to serve during a dinner party.

I hope you enjoy!  Happy New Year! 

Until next time,
Felicia 

Spicy Apple Coffee Cake

2 cups sifted flour
2/3 to 3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 or 3 apples
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons shortening 
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup grated nippy cheese (Omit cheese if preferred - I did not use any cheese)

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.  Cut in shortening and cheese.  Add milk to make a soft dough.  Turn out on lightly floured board and knead 1/2 minute.  Part out dough in ungreased 9-inch layer-cake pan.  Pare apples, core and slice thin.  Arrange apples in petal design over top.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and dot with butter.  Bake in hot oven (425ºF) 25 minutes.  Makes 1 (9-inch) coffee cake. 
You could also use an oblong pan and arrange apples in rows on top of dough. 



1 comment: