Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ration-Era Recipes: Rich Cinnamon Cookies

Honest truth – I enjoy baking.  Not only do I enjoy baking, I love it.  My friends will attest to this - they have been the receivers of many of these treats (the good, the bad, and the ugly).  Now baking a ration-era recipe is very different.  With shortages on supplies such as sugar, baking became a treat in the house.

With the challenge of baking a ration-era recipe, I turned to the trusty Victory Cookbook for a great dessert recipe.  There were hundreds of dessert recipes to go through, everything from cookies to tarts, candies to pies.  Needing a recipe that would be “quick,” not typically a word you hear with desserts, I focused in on the cookies.  After conferring with another employee, we decided on rich cinnamon cookies.  Technically, these are molded cookies; however, since I do not have a cookie press I decided to make them as drop cookies. 

From gathering the ingredients to pulling the last batch out of the oven, I spent about an hour in the kitchen making these cookies.  With very little mess to clean up afterward, this recipe would be the perfect treat to make with small children. 

As the cookies baked, our apartment smelled of cinnamon.  According to my friends, they smelled like cookies when they came out of the oven.  Needless to say, these cookies have all around approval ratings.  They are good; however, I really enjoyed them warm, right out of the oven. 

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!  

~Felicia



Rich Cinnamon Cookies

2 cups sifted cake flour                                          1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt                                                   1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder                                   1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon                                            2 eggs, beaten

Sift first 4 ingredients together (flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon).  Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together.  Add sifted ingredients alternately with beaten eggs.  Mold with cookie press on cold ungreased baking sheet.  Bake in hot oven (400 ºF) 10 minutes.  Makes 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment